The special partnership with four Chinese universities is what makes studying with the Graduate School of Global Politics unique – we offer the first joint degree in social sciences between Chinese and German universities.
The Graduate School of Global Politics (GSGP) offers a doctoral program that will prepare you for an academic or professional career in International Relations or political science, including the following features:
- A focus on EU-Chinese relations, with connections to the academic world and industry in both areas
- Challenging interdisciplinary coursework designed to your understanding of both methodology and theory
- Blended learning, involving online classes, allowing you the possibility to study wherever you need to be
- A 6-12 month research stay at the partner university
- Elective courses at both Freie Universität and your Chinese partner university
First you will attend three online modules, each introduced by an intensive in-house seminar in Berlin or at a partner university. These courses are accompanied by courses either given at FU Berlin or at one of the Chinese partner universities. The third year is dedicated to the dissertation.
During the first two years, you will spend six to eight hours each week in class, conduct empirical research and develop a detailed dissertation plan. The third year is devoted to your doctoral thesis.
Throughout the program, you will work closely with your supervisors, all expert scholars in their particular fields of interest. All coursework, along with your dissertation and most research will be conducted in English, fully preparing you for an international career in academia, the political sphere or industry.