Visa Requirements

Joining the Graduate School of Global Politics means coming to study and live in Berlin, Germany. To assist your application and to ensure that nothing can hinder your PhD stay at the GSGP once you are admitted, please read the following information carefully.

Study-Visa Requirements in Germany

Generally, non-EU and non-EEA citizens need a visa to enter the country.
They are required to apply for and obtain a residence permit at a local German diplomatic mission (Embassy or Consulate) prior to entry.

However, citizens of the United States of America, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, and Switzerland may apply for their residence permit after entering Germany without a visa.

Types of Visa

The visa application process differentiates between two types of visas: national and Schengen visas.

As you intend to stay longer than three months in Germany, you have to apply for national visa.

The Schengen visa, which is valid in the entire Schengen area for a short period of time, is not suitable if you wish to stay for the entire program period.

Required Documents

Except in rare instances, you have to submit your application in person.

As a rule, you will be asked to submit the following documents required for your application:

  • two fully completed application forms and required declaration in duplicate
  • two passport photographs
  • a valid national passport and one copy
  • a letter of acceptance from a German university/language school/college as well as a proof of the required language ability
  • visa fee

Funding and Health Care

Moreover, you have to submit proof of health insurance and documents providing proof of how you intend to support yourself financially during your stay in Germany.

The financial requirements you need for living in Germany are estimated to be about 634 Euros a month or 7,608 Euros a year. The money has to be transferred to a blocked account at a German bank. Only the recipients of scholarships who can provide proof of their funding are exempt from this rule.

In any case, all information is subject to change.
For up-to-date and clear instructions on how to apply, please contact your local German Embassy or Consulate.

Upon submission of all required documents, the application will be forwarded to the German Immigration Office (Ausländeramt) responsible for your intended place of residence in Germany. After the application has been approved by the Immigration Office, the Embassy or Consulate will issue a temporary residence permit in the form of a visa. The Immigration Office requires all residence permit holders to register upon their arrival. A final residence permit for the duration of your studies will be granted in Germany after arrival.

Sources: Federal Foreign Office of Germany, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

All information is subject to change.